Exam sessions are organised by VEA and are conducted by volunteers working under the direction of the FCC and a Volunteer Exam Coordinator (VEC).
There will be a charge for taking the exam. The exam fee is set by the VEC and is usually US$15.00. Approximately AUD$22.00. (depending on the exchange rate)
Contact the exam session coordinator in your state to determine the exam session you plan to attend, the documents required and to verify the session date and time and exam session venue.
VE Teams may have different policies regarding candidate procedures and requirements.
The FCC does not charge a fee to issue an initial license or for standard changes to a license. However, there may be fees for other FCC services.
On Exam Day:
1. One legal photo ID. (identification)
2. Register for an FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN) VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit your FRN number with your license application form.
3. If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current US Amateur Radio licence or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the licence information printed from ARRL website, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your licence has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing licence credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
4. You need two HB or No 2 pencils with erasers and a ballpoint pen.
5. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes and formulas. The mobile phone must be turned off during the exam.
6. Pre-registration and purchase of a “seat” at a testing session is required for ALL testing sessions. Purchase of your “seat” is, in effect, your “registration” for the session.
Click here to complete the Registration Form.